A Farm Grows in Brooklyn: Bringing Communities to the Table

November 5, 2009 by


BK Farmyards is a Brooklyn based decentralized farming network providing local food to reduce the city’s reliance on fossil fuels while offering local jobs to boost the economy. They seek partnerships with developers willing to temporarily transform their idle land to farmyard, homeowners who want to eat from their own yard, and city agencies holding under-utilized land. According to the group, their strategy is to stay nimble, growing food between the cracks of urban development.


Foxtrot Farmyard (600 square feet): Owner is paying for 25% of produce grown on site, BK is selling the remaining 75%. Produce grown: tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, cabbage, onion, lettuce, radish, beet, carrot, zucchini, pepper, collard greens, swiss chard, broccoli, bok choy.

NYC’s Cool New Backyard Farms: Growing More Than Just Produce from SkeeterNYC on Vimeo.

With a mission is to bring communities together around the dinner table, their educational agenda includes eating seasonally, growing food locally, storing and preparing food, species biodiversity, and food democracy. They aim to build a local food network that enhances the health of our culture, people, and environment.

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

The freshest innovative and eco-friendly designs, trends, and ideas for urban gardens and stylish small places.

Visit Robin Horton @UrbanGardens's profile on Pinterest.

Discover more from Urban Gardens

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading